Landlords - Frequently Asked Questions


As a Landlord, what responsibility do I have when it comes to the electrics?

The Landlords & Tenants Act (1985) states the electrical installation in a rented property is;
• Satisfactory at the beginning of a tenancy
• Maintained during the tenancy
In order to comply with this act, we recommend having an Electrical Condition Report carried out before letting the property. This will advise you of the condition of the electrical installation.


How often must I have an electrical test carried out on my rented property?

If you own a HMO (House in Multiple Occupation), it is a legal requirement to have a periodic inspection carried out on the property every 5 years. If your property is not a HMO, then there is no legal obligations to have the property tested on a periodic basis. Although, we recommend that you have a full periodic inspection carried out 5 yearly or on change of tenancy (Whichever comes first). An Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) will be produced on completion.


Do I have to have the appliances within my rented property PAT Tested?

There is no legal obligation to carry out a portable appliance test (PAT Test) and it is left to the landlord’s discretion. The exception to this is if you have an employee working or living in rented accommodation (E.g.: Care Home). However, the Electrical Safety Council Guidance recommend having portable appliances tested as any appliance provided by the landlord must be safe. A PAT Testing log of all landlord electrical appliances will be supplied on completion.


What fire alarm system should I have installed?

A small, single family house will require standard smoke alarm alarms, while large HMO’s need a more complex system. All residential properties where tenants are sleeping should have some form of fire detection and warning system.


How often should the fire alarms be checked?

Basic fire alarms should have routine checks carried out by yourself/tenant. Such tests should be carried out weekly/fortnightly, where all call points are tested and recorded. For more complex fire alarm systems (EG: Fire Alarm panels) a competent qualified NAPIT engineer would be required to carry out the testing and a record kept in a log book.


How will I know if I have a potential electrical problem?

Firstly, decide how often you will visually inspect the electrics in your property so you start to notice what is ‘normal’ within your electrics. Download our simple check list below to visually check your property. It is recommended that this is done annually. If you notice anything abnormal or are worried of anything call a competent electrician to carry out an inspection.


Electrical Services

Our highly skilled and dedicated
team have the experience to
handle all your electrical needs,
big or small.


Heating Solutions

From a more efficient thermostat
to an underfloor heating system
our engineers can find the
solution for you.


Central Vacuum Systems

Quicker and easier than a
conventional vacuum our
tailored systems can be installed
into almost any environment.


Ventilation Solutions

Our team of experienced engineers
can help improve air quality and
help you solve damp and
condensation problems


Energy Saving

Our Technicians are committed
to helping our clients save money,
save energy and reduce your
carbon footprint


Transform Your Home

From a Home Cinema or Games
Room to Outdoor Hot Tubs and
Saunas we can help improve
your living space.